Tips – Self Harm and Contagion Factor of Social Media
Tips for parents
- Please do not regard the self-harm as a phase that the person is going through.
- They have developed some very severe symptoms that are going to be very addictive.
- Intervention needed in the form of strict parameters.
- Do a total digital detox like how you would you a drug detox
- Take away their cell phone completely at least for 2 years to have the brain completely change
- Create public areas where they can go on the internet in the home
- Realize that Dopamine is secreted with cutting. Dopamine is the molecule of addiction.
- Completely remove them from the offending environment i.e. friends who are contaminating them or the school environment
- Would you not remove your child from their drug using peers? Same thing with cutting. Remove them from those friends
- Know all the passwords to all their accounts
- Do not leave computers unattended during your detox phase. If an alcoholic is trying to get sober, would you send them to the bar?
- Understand that your child is struggling with some deep emotional issues that they really need help with. Get them professional competent help with a seasoned Psychotherapist who will include you into the team
- Any therapist treating the teen should be very inclusive of the parent and not leave the parent out in the dark.
Tips for School, Counselors and Teachers
- Get to the source of the self-harm behavior.
- If coming from social contagion remove the Queen Bee and the Kingpin of the group from school
- Take a tough stance about ZERO tolerance for glorifying cutting behavior.
- Act with the same disciplinary manner with the cutting behavior as you would with pot usage or alcohol usage
- Create a protective environment for those who got infected by inoculating them with Girls and Boys Leadership programs, that move their energy into positive ways of belongingness and being popular.